printf("Hello, Einstein World!\n");

General Discussion & Welcome Thread
chrisv

printf("Hello, Einstein World!\n");

Post by chrisv » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Season's greetings etc.

A quick introduction is in order before I pester everyone I think.

I bought my Einstein from B&H back in the 80's (when I lived nearby sometime around 1986 IIRC) and took it to Uni with me (along with my Dragon 32) to study Computer Science. The Einstein sadly died in my 3rd year after spending far too many nights on it working on coursework, (the Dragon was used to program the lab's D5/D9 6809 kits; it survives to this day) and was replaced by an Amstrad PC1512 (the Einstein PSU was used to power an external add-on drive for the PC1512),

I currently have a TC-01 and monitor in fairly good nick and another in worse shape that I am going to do *something* with at some point. When I say working I mean the keyboard was knackered (one key had 'snapped' and someone had tried superglue with the obvious results and several others were non-responsive).

After a strip down, a good clean and sourcing a replacement keyboard on ebay for spares, I dismantled the keyboard, got all the keys working and Bob's your father's disowned brother that we don't talk about.

Next steps:
Internal Gotek and an external 3.5" (why not)
Joysticks
Burn a diagnostic EPROM
Take a proper look at the broken one - I suspect there is a chip issue as the refurbed working keyboard threw up errors on the suspect unit.
Figure out how to get the D5 kit working again

Cheers for now!
--
Currently refurbishing a TC-01 (dual 3", monitor) with broken TC-01 as a donor
Original Dragon 32 still working
D5 kit waiting in the wings

Fixing the keyboard was a pain in the a***!

vanpeebles

Re: printf("Hello, Einstein World!\n");

Post by vanpeebles » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Welcome! :D I enjoyed the read!

Lardo Boffin

Re: printf("Hello, Einstein World!\n");

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Welcome!
TC-01 + einSDein + TM-01 + TK-02 + gotek