partially broken original Tatung Einstein Colour Monitor

Tatung Hardware talk TC01 & 256.
papahippo

partially broken original Tatung Einstein Colour Monitor

Post by papahippo » Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi,
I am bringing both(!) my Tatung Einstein Computers back into service. One of these is equipped with an original monitor.

This seems to stuck in green mode It displays either 80 cols or 40 columns according to how I connect it... but only in green.

When connecting 40-col connector it totally ignores R and B inputs and just shows G.

Operating the slider switch on the back makes no difference apart from a bright flash occasionally while switching. In fact, its as if this switch's output is always 'seen' by the innerds of the monitor to be in the uppermost (green only) position.

If I connect another (old Philips) RGB montior to the computer, that works fine: R G and B ion all their glory.

I cannot rule out the monitor having been connected incorrectly in the past, e.g. something connected to TTL input.

Is this repairable, do you think? or I am looking at a (Norwegian?) green ex-colour-monitor.

Thanks for your attention,

Larry Myerscough (aka papahippo)

vanpeebles

Re: partially broken original Tatung Einstein Colour Monitor

Post by vanpeebles » Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 am

Welcome! I’ve not tried my 80 column adaptor, but mine had an extra box connected for use with different monitors?

papahippo

Re: partially broken original Tatung Einstein Colour Monitor

Post by papahippo » Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Just noticed the question mark on your reply!

This one also had a box connected, but the box had been wired wrongly. I removed the box and made a straight 7-pin DIN to 7-pin DIN cable to diagnose the problem. If I get that working, I can easily re-introduce the box later. So far, it's still behaves like a G monitor not an RGB monitor. I'm reluctant to take it apart. CRT's are best left enclosed I think. (Others may think they're best thrown away!)