Gotek as drive 0: Images

Tatung Hardware talk TC01 & 256.
dhoggan

Gotek as drive 0: Images

Post by dhoggan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:36 pm

HI all,

I've had a TC01 for a couple of years now but it's been sitting in the corner and never really used. So my Christmas project this year is to restore it and then see what I can make it do. My very much more used to BBC Micro so this is a learning curve for me so apologies if I ask daft questions.

The current part of the restoration/renovation is to add a Gotek as drive 0. This is a single drive TC01 and so far I've managed to get the Gotek connected as drive 0 and files read on/off it from .DSK files I have found online. So that works. I've just stripped down, cleaned and oiled/greased the relevant bits in the original 3" drive and have set the select jumpers to drive 1. En route are bits to make up a cable suitable to connect both the Gotek and 3" at the same time. So, all has gone well so far.

The issue I have is perhaps quite simple: I have the original "Einstein System Master V3.0" disk that came with the TC-01. But I'm after a version in .DSK format that can be loaded onto the Gotek. I've had a look but can't see these anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one, or can I simply take the one I have and copy it to a blank .DSK image?

The second question is does anyone know where I can get hold of a blank .DSK image - essentially one I can use as a formatted disk?

Thanks,

Dave

MikeDHalliday

Re: Gotek as drive 0: Images

Post by MikeDHalliday » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Have a look through here;

http://tatungeinstein.hopto.org/8-bit/T ... 0Einstein/

There maybe something that can help you.

I can add a blank .DSK image if one is missing from the above server

Regards

Mike.
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

dhoggan

Post by dhoggan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:43 pm

I'm going to have to work out how to get to that.... the Firewall isn't too happy and blocks me.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:28 pm

There are a number of files on here:

https://github.com/charlierobson/einsde ... -image/DSK

I have a feeling I may have taken a BASIC disc, deleted everything and used that as a blank.
TC-01 + einSDein + TM-01 + TK-02 + gotek

dhoggan

Post by dhoggan » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks both. I've now made up the dual floppy cable and have it all working. Now time to see investigate some of that software.

One thing I'm still getting used to: I expected CTRL-BREAK would force a boot off whichever floppy was in drive 0 (much like the Beeb's Shift-Break). Not sure why I thought that - it just seems to be the expected action based upon how things are written - things like "insert the XYZ disk and then CTRL-BREAK".

A fun learning curve awaits!