Minor keyboard problem

Tatung Hardware talk TC01 & 256.
Preppie

Minor keyboard problem

Post by Preppie » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm

Something a little strange with my space bar, wondered if anyone else has similar problem.

The space bar works fine except after a zero '0' when it seems to need a little time delay before registering (I often end up having to press it a second time because it doesn't register the first time).

This only happens after a zero, everything else is fine. Not a major problem, but a little annoying when coding BASIC as most line numbers end with a zero. I guess I could use line numbers 11,21,31, etc. but that would mean breaking a 40 year habit :D

retrogamer

Re: Minor keyboard problem

Post by retrogamer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:51 pm

Not come across this myself, but my guess is there's an issue with the zero '0' key mechanism not returning quickly enough rather than a faulty space bar. I've found a small spray of contact cleaner has worked for my keyboard in the past and avoided needing to take the keyboard apart.

You should be able to quickly check your '0' by setting up a Function key to type the '0' instead. Run the following program in BASIC:

10 KEY 6, CHR$(48)

Then pressing F6 (just above the '0' key) will give a '0' and you can check whether the space bar is still affected in the same way.

If that's okay, you can check the behaviour of the space bar with CHR$(32).

You should be able to pinpoint the issue with this hack ...

Preppie

Re: Minor keyboard problem

Post by Preppie » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:15 pm

Thanks for the tip on checking, and of course it's a problem with the 0 key not the space - what was I thinking.

I'm working on my game atm, but i'll get the contact cleaner out later and hopefully that will do the job.

thx.