Fade to grey

Tatung Hardware talk TC01 & 256.
MikeDHalliday

Fade to grey

Post by MikeDHalliday » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:03 am

I fired up albert this morning, to test the Oki printer that I had to repair and I am getting a grey screen instead of the normal blue.

A bit of searching reveales that it is transistor Q0001 and it will need to be replaced. (Found this in an old document i have on my server)

Ho Hum. I guess storing machines in the loft, even boxed can cause issues.

I will now cover all my boxes in bubble wrap to try and maintain some sort of steady temps and see if that stops any more component failure.

:oops:
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

Preppie

Re: Fade to grey

Post by Preppie » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:44 am

My loft swings from artic in the winter to surface of the sun in summer, I wouldn't put anything electronic up there.

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:47 am

Ufortunately, got no other place for them. The loft is my work studio/office space too, but I am able to cope with the change in temps better than my 'puters!
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:15 am

My loft is also sadly my main storage area. And varies from -100 to +100 deg C! It is however extremely dry up there thanks to really good ventilation.

I have not had any issues yet (*) - the key is let anything that comes down from the loft to acclimatise, ideally with case open, for a day or so before switching on. This gets rid of any moisture that has built up.

(* the next thing I switch on will die now of course)

Everything is wrapped in bubble wrap and double bagged.

I also avoid disturbing anything over winter. Anything going up there warm will doubtless end up with condensation and problems.
TC-01 + einSDein + TM-01 + TK-02 + gotek

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:21 am

Albert has been up in the loft all year. I opened it up in the loft and turned it on in the loft.

I guess i have been luck previously as i have never had any issues with any of my retro machines stored there.

Oh well. i need to remove the main board anyway at some stage as I have a video stabilising circuit to fit and want to add RGB to scart which need the 5V mod to the RGB port from analogue port 1.

Hopefully will get some time before Chritmas to get all this done!

Mike.

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:04 am

Quick update on this old post.

I have added the customised video circuit that I got in a haul a while ago and the grey screen has gone away. Yay!

Back to the normal blue background now with a 5v feed to the middle pin on the RGB socket too.

Trying to get a scart cable sorted, but can run off the RF now without it being in black and white :D

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:02 pm

RGB to Scart cable complete and working well.

Such an improvement over the uhf signal

20230711_190941.jpg
20230711_190941.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 2290 times

arcadesy

Post by arcadesy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:15 pm

Looking good Mike!
--------------------------------
https://twitter.com/arcadesy