TC-01 with Gotek and second drive

Tatung Hardware talk TC01 & 256.
retrogamer

Re: TC-01 with Gotek and second drive

Post by retrogamer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:38 pm

My first thought is to configure your system with the Gotek as Drive 1 and Internal as Drive 0 to see if that works correctly. That’s how my system is set up. My system disc stays in Drive 0 as my boot disc and then I can easily access and change DSK images on the Gotek. The Gotek needs no additional configuration files as long as you’re accessing standard DSK images.

I have seen a 'No Sector 1' error message. But only when I’ve used a raw IMG image on my Gotek as FlashFloppy requires an IMG.CFG text file to be saved to the root of your USB drive for this particular image format. But this configuration file is not needed for standard DSK formats.

I’ve also seen the VERIFY fail after apparent formatting. The Einstein doesn’t always realise the formatting is not working. There are a number of different FORMAT and BACKUP program versions depending on the DOS version so there is scope for investigating your version if the issue persists. But again, VERIFY failure has only occurred with my Gotek when I’ve been testing non-standard images such as 80 track and double-sided formats with an incompatible disk image.

As a first step, it’ll be interesting to see if switching the drives around resolves the issue …

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:19 am

Here is where we are.

I set the floppy as drive zero and gotek as drive 1. Booted happily from the system disk inserted into the floppy. Was able to jump over to drive 1 and view the gotek dsk image fine. When I jumped back to drive zero I got the sector 0 error again. So the gotek must be setting some drive parameter that makes the other drive unrecognized? That is my only conclusion.
Fan of all things retro.

retrogamer

Post by retrogamer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:45 pm

Very surprising.

Can you do a DIR of Drive 0 immediately after you boot from the drive? Does the file information for your internal drive appear as it should?

Switching to Gotek Drive 1, issuing a DIR command to view the DSK image, and switching back to Drive 0 shouldn’t interfere with this functionality.

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:14 pm

Yes. If I boot from floppy and do a dir all looks good. Jump over to drive 1 (gotek) and do a dir all looks good there too. Jump back to drive 0 and I get a no sector 1 error. So its almost as if the gotek disk image is changing the expected drive format. Strange huh?
Fan of all things retro.

arcadesy

Post by arcadesy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:35 pm

It kind-of sounds like the drive hasn't got back to track 0, maybe this is what 'no sector 1' error might be referring to. This should be indicated on pin 26 of the cable, if you've a scope or a logic probe maybe worth checking that this is indicating as expected. No idea why the gotek might be affecting that though!

Also out of interest what model of gotek do you have? Mine's the older STM based type but later they've changed to Artery ... not aware of any differences in this regard though
--------------------------------
https://twitter.com/arcadesy

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 pm

Its a newer model. I may try another one just too if anything changes. Otherwise I guess I will just be using Gotek only. Which is fine.
Fan of all things retro.

retrogamer

Post by retrogamer » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:44 am

The error usually means that your disc in the internal drive is recognised as unformatted and doesn’t have accessible system tracks, or that you’ve changed your system disc in the internal drive.

You might try running the DISCMOD program from your Drive 1 Gotek. The manual shows you how to examine drive 0 tracks and sectors while running the program from Drive 1.

You can test whether the sectors of each of the tracks of the floppy in Drive 0 are accessible with this program. This will rule out a physical fault with your internal drive or floppy disc.

If you can access all the floppy tracks, then there may be something wrong with the reserved tracks on your system disc. I presume you’ve already tried a different floppy system disc in your internal drive?

retrogamer

Post by retrogamer » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:35 pm

A simpler alternative to DISCMOD would be to use the READ command from within MOS. This avoids using the system DOS code from your startup disc and might throw some light on the issue.

1: Ensure your system disc is in your internal floppy set as Drive 0 and your Gotek is set as Drive 1

2: Drop into MOS when you get the Sector error

3: Type R100 1B00 and press <ENTER>

Do you still get the error?

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:28 am

Thanks for all the help and GREAT suggestions!

I tried another Gotek and it all works fine with no issues. Obviously something going on with the first one.
Fan of all things retro.

arcadesy

Post by arcadesy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:15 am

What an odd fault!! Glad you got it sorted though, is your new working one the same type?
--------------------------------
https://twitter.com/arcadesy