MAME: Einstein Emulation

Software discussion & Emulation
Pernod

Re: MAME: Einstein Emulation

Post by Pernod » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:20 pm

fatbob_gb wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Am looking forward to seeing Einstein updates in MAME, it is a sadly underlooked platform, it good to see it getting some love.
A fix has been submitted which should finally allow everyone to stop using 0.191, look out for the 0.222 release!

I've also added a quickload option to the UI, which allows loading .COM files directly by disabling ROM, loading the .COM file to $100, and setting the program counter to $100 to execute.

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Is the new one out yet?

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 pm

vanpeebles wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:31 pm
Is the new one out yet?
Yep, 0.222 was released end of June. There should be 0.223 released any day now, but doesn't include any further Einstein changes.

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:15 pm

I was trying to spot the mention on it :(

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm

vanpeebles wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:15 pm
I was trying to spot the mention on it :(
The https://www.mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0222.txt didn't mention einstein with the fix as it was the WD1770 at fault so is documented as fix to wd_fdc.cpp.

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:26 pm

So, finally got my Einstein emulation up and running with MESS instead of MAME, but cannot for the life of me work out how to save a file to the disk image when using BBC Basic, XBAS, System 5 etc.

Saves ok in each of the above with any error message, but when I run MESS again and load up say BBC Basic disk image, the file I saved is not there.

Any one else got this issue, or had it and solved it? Is there a setting that lets you save? (Maybe the writing to disk isnt emulated?) Oh, and I have checked that all .DSK files are read/write on the drive.

TIA

Mike.
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:48 pm

MikeDHalliday wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:26 pm
So, finally got my Einstein emulation up and running with MESS instead of MAME, but cannot for the life of me work out how to save a file to the disk image when using BBC Basic, XBAS, System 5 etc.
Firstly, MESS hasn't existed now for over 7 years, so what version are you running? If you are really using a version that old then I have no idea of what issues may have existed back then.

How are you mounting the disk image, by selecting a DSK using the File Manager, or loading it from the Software List?

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm

0.161 of mess and it works a treat apart from saving to the .DSK image that is loaded via Messui

I have installed the latest vesrion of MAME and can honestly say ... WTF is that crappy menu screen. Holy cow, it looks like something from the 80s :o

Is there a nicer UI for it?

Also, all my Mess disk images do not work with MAME, even when they are in the correct folders. I also dont like how it has to refer to the XML file for the disk images. How do I load my own? Do i have to edit the XML file?
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:20 pm

I have found mameui, which i assume is the same as messui?

Will install and see if I have any better luck using it now.

Too lazy to get my Einstein out of its box to test a few ideas i have. ha ha

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:30 pm

Right, Mame is all setup with a better gui.

Now when I load BBC basic and try and save a file i get a "Bad Data Drive 0:" error.

I guess Mess could not show that?