A good terminal emulator?

Software discussion & Emulation
simmo1010

A good terminal emulator?

Post by simmo1010 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 am

I'm not sure when I developed a masochistic need to "keep things authentic" and avoid sensible solutions like goteks, but now with a homebrew serial cable and EinTrans happily running under Wine in Windows 98 mode I am able to create some disks for my Albie. I have a random smattering of operating systems and SuperForth to get me started, but I'm missing a good terminal emulator (I exercise my retro gear by connecting to telnet BBS's via tcpser on a pi).

I've been through the "communications" folder at mikesretrotech.co.uk and can't see much at tatungeinstein.co.uk, but haven't found anything useable. I found something called TTY, but that seems to want me to short out a couple of pins on my serial cable - and I'm reluctant to rip it open as it is a miracle that it works at all. The version of Kermit that is floating about doesn't seem to have the ability to set basic comms parameters like baud rate. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I've been a bit spoiled on my Beeb with termulator and commstar.

Cheers,

Ian.

1980s_john

Re: A good terminal emulator?

Post by 1980s_john » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi,
Try running one under CP/M.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threa ... p-m.43540/

suggests IMP or MEX (I've not tried either, but did use ZIMP on a Zenith once).

Regards,
John