MAME: Einstein Emulation

Software discussion & Emulation
Pernod

Re: MAME: Einstein Emulation

Post by Pernod » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:48 pm

MikeDHalliday wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:20 pm
I have found mameui, which i assume is the same as messui?
If that's todays MAMEUI 0.248 release then that is the final release, the maintainer of that project has now discontinued it. Also MESSUI at https://messui.1emulation.com/

But now you're upto date you'll have features added in the past 2-3 years such as the Einstein 256, and being able to directly load .COM files.
MikeDHalliday wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm
Also, all my Mess disk images do not work with MAME, even when they are in the correct folders. I also dont like how it has to refer to the XML file for the disk images. How do I load my own? Do i have to edit the XML file?
The XML is known as a Software List, it contains details of 'supposedly' good dumps of software. You'll generally find these matching disk images in MAME torrents. You should only be editing the XML files if you intend to submit new good software dumps to the MAME project.

Loading software from the software list will always mount the floppy as write protected. I haven't used MAMEUI but there should be an option somewhere to load your own DSK files by letting you navigate and select an image, then MAME should prompt you for read-only, write back to image, etc.

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:42 pm

Mame is shockingly bad! That is my conclusion.

There is no option to mount the disk as read/write and when I change disk images in MameUI, it still loads the previous image, like it hasnt reset the emulator.

It also has issues reading drive 1, 2 and 3. says no disk when the image that is selected worked in drive 0. gggrrr

At least Mess was able to re-load the new .dsk file.

Serves me right, I should have got the real Einstein out of the box instead. Trying to cut corners and save some time.

:(
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:49 pm

MikeDHalliday wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:42 pm
Mame is shockingly bad! That is my conclusion.
No, MAMEUI/MESSUI are shockingly bad, they hide much of MAME's functionality, even it's maintainer has given up on it!

Learn to use the internal UI built into official MAME, and all should work as expected.

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:06 pm

Can't get mame to work. The zip and dsk files that load via mameui throw an error in Mame.

Not a happy chappy at all today. :(

Emulation never used to be this hard. I blame the millenials!! :lol:
Ex owner of a real TC01 with Gotek boot drive and second drive, Joysticks, DAC hardware (Built but untested) and loads of manuals, books and mags. Living the emulation life now!

MikeDHalliday

Post by MikeDHalliday » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Doh, i worked it out now.

What is the point of a "software" folder if the images only work from the "roms" folder?

Copied all the .zip files from software to roms and they are loading. Who''d a thunk it! sheesh.